The Making : Triathlon Cake with gum paste bicycle

Hi! I love making cakes that are beautiful but I love it even more when I get to make cakes that are not only cute but also challenging. The 'challenge' in this cake is of course the bicycle you see here. So here's how I did it. :)
First I found a nice pic or drawing of the bike that my client wanted. It was a replica of her boyfriend's bike. Apparently he is quite the sportsman and was and active triathlete. Here I shaped the flower wires in a circle to resemble the tyres on the bike. Then I wrapped black coloured gum paste around them.
Here I made the handlebars.

Using wire cutters, I cut the wires to form the spindles on the bike tyres.

Here, I just pieced the gum paste bike parts together using the pic as a guide.

The tricky part was getting them to stick together without having it falling apart and trust me it did that A LOT!


After that I painted on the details and left in leaning on a container to set and dry.


The client also wanted the exact helmet that her boyfriend had.
Here you see it coloured and detailed.


Next up was also a client's request and she wanted his jogging shoes as well. Here I show how I did it step by step.
Next up were the goggles and speedos to represent the swimming. I thought the speedos added a touch of funny actually. Very cute!
Birthday message and triathlon symbols fondant cut outs.
Cyclist

Swimmer
Runner. All that he loves!
Here's how I made the bushes and "road".

I used the cobblestone imprint mat to create an area where the bike would "park" by leaning on the cake.
Final look at the completed bike.


Overall view.
This was sent by my client after presenting the cake to her boyfriend. 
The happiness on his face really made all my efforts worth it and you can't beat that feeling! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment